[Question #244182]: out of sync whisper files

In FEB I have rolled back a VM with whisper files to a snapshot taken on JAN 21st, and ever since I've been trying to properly restore the whisper files, without success.
Probably the most unfortunate factor here was that my storage-schema regex was incorrect, and so it seems that I got one week of storage. I suspect that as soon as the VM was booted in FEB, carbon-cache immediately expired records from JAN.
Running a whisper-dump, I see that the data is still there, but I can't seem to display it in Graphite.

I can't seem to figure out Graphite uses both the datapoint timestamps together with file offsets, especially in my case where there seems to be a contradiction between the archive time span and the timestamps of the contained datapoints.

I would really appreciate, either an explanation of how it works, or better a solution to my problem.

here's the top of a whisper-dump

Meta data:
  aggregation method: sum
  max retention: 604800