[Question #245591]: Can't install carbon as non-root on redhat

Hi guys,

I'm a complete newbie at graphite and I'm trying to install it to start playing with it.  I'm following the virtualenv instructions for pip and installed graphite and whisper with no problems.  When I try to install carbon and supply the custom locations, it dies trying to copy files to /etc/init.d.  I'm not running as root so the error makes sense but I don't know if I can safely ignore the error and continue.

I looked at the install using sources and I can see copying the files to init.d is part of a post-install for redhat.  Is my only choice for removing the error to edit the config and manually install from sources or can pip be persuaded to not install the files?  Do I break anything if I don't install the init.d files and just start stuff manually?

Any help is appreciated.

Tim