[Question #251723]: High CPU Usage for carbon-cache?

We are witnessing high CPU usage for carbon-cache on two of our systems, carbon-cache is maxing out one of the cpu cores.

Both machines are showing similar statistics.

MetricsRecieved is hovering around 21k
There's a very small number of creates (<10 day)
The cache.size is hovering around 2k
Cache.size is hovering around 2k
Memory usage is tiny, 20Mb or so
I/O utilisation is well under 20%, usually around 10%

Our config file is the default

The machines are Centos VMS, but the hardware they are running on (two different machines) have very little else on them and there is little contention.

The vms have 4 x 4 core processors  (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E7- 4830  @ 2.13GHz)
We haven't got to the point of looking at our disk set up yet, we're storing our wsp files in a /var directory which is mounted directly in / (ext4 defaults, 70% free)
The Vms have 4G memory

We've inherited this set up and are pretty new to graphite.  My understanding is that carbon-cache is IO heavy rather than CPU heavy and this kind of load shouldn't hit the cpu this hard.

Is this CPU usage too high and if so what should we look at to reduce it?

Thanks,

Matt