Re: [Question #254304]: Graphite problem with long values. I found them stored as decimal

Jason Dixon proposed the following answer:
Your highest precision retention should match your polling frequency.
Because you have a 5s:5m retention level, many of your "buckets" are
being rolled up into the 30s:1h as "none", causing your original data to
be averaged down. I explained some of this here:

http://obfuscurity.com/2012/04/Unhelpful-Graphite-Tip-9

If you're going to continue polling every 30s, then remove that 5s:5m
from your policy and restart your carbon-cache. If your data is all bad
you might as well delete your Whisper files too. Otherwise you'll want
to do a whisper-resize to match your new retention policy.