[Question #257512]: aggregator docs unclear -- update

Hi, there!

I'm currently working on a test deployment of graphite. I needed to aggregate some metrics, so I started reading the documentation on aggregation rules (http://graphite.readthedocs.org/en/latest/config-carbon.html). Based on said documentation, I understood that any incoming metric that matches a rule would be processed there and only continue to carbon-cache in aggregated form (i.e., the original non-aggregated metric would be lost).

Now, according to this old thread (https://answers.launchpad.net/graphite/+question/179788), that's not the case. What happens actually is that the metric is reported (or stored) in its non-aggregated and its aggregated form. Is this new interpretation correct?

If my second interpretation is correct, I think that the problem comes from the following sentence in the third paragraph of the section "aggregation-rules.conf":

"[...] Any metric that will arrive to carbon-aggregator will proceed to its output untouched unless it is overridden by some rule."

May I suggest one of the following re-writes in the hopes of clarifying the issue?

"[...] Any metric that arrives to carbon-aggregator will proceed to its output untouched and also in its aggregated form if the metric matches any rule."

"[...] Any metric that arrives to carbon-aggregator will proceed to its output untouched. If the metric matches any rule, it will also be aggregated, and the aggregated metric will proceed to its output in time."

Regards,
Gaston