[Question #258030]: adding whisper directory with historic data

I've recently reconfigured my graphite setup from a single carbon-cache instance to several carbon-cache instances.  As I needed to cook this up on a new host without bringing down the old graphite server while setting up, I now have a whisper directory with the historic metrics from the old server that I need to make available through the web app on the new host.

I copied the dir to the new host and added an entry in the webapp  local_settings.py:
DATA_DIRS = ['/carbon1/whisper','/carbon2/whisper','/carbon3/whisper','/carbon4/whisper','/whisper-archive']

whisper-archive is the dir I'm talking about.  Unfortunately, the data is not showing up.  Am I doing something wrong or is there a better way to do this?

running graphite 0.10.0 source install
on freebsd 10.0-RELEASE-p12