[Question #267910]: alternate backend storage

Has anyone successfully implemented an alternate backend storage for Graphite other than whisper?

The overall goal is to use less expensive storage than SSDs or a SAN.  Possibly using SSDs for short-term and an alternate backend for long-term storage.  I am currently running on SSDs which provide the needed IOPS but it becomes more expensive as we hope to meet both needs of increased metrics and long retention times (13months).  It looks as if ceres never (really) took off and as you know the Graphite webapp does not combine data from various whisper files.