[Question #289184]: Support for multiple finest resolutions

I'm currently testing collectd 5.4.2 (on Scientific Linux 6.1) + Graphite 0.9.15 + Grafana 2.6.0 (on Debian 8.3) for observing the performance of a set of systems.

It took me a while to figure out that functions like derivative() and perSecond() really can't deal with null data points, and somehow I'd missed in the docs the part where "Whisper requires that metric updates occur at the same interval as the finest resolution storage archive."

The scenario I have is that generally, I want to submit samples at 60-second intervals and with a long retention, but during e.g. performance regression test runs, I'd like to be able to bump the sampling rate up to say every 5 seconds. Obviously my initial config of something like 5s:28d and just submitting data points 1/min yielded poor results when trying to analyze things with functions like derivative().

I'm pretty hooked on the query method Grafana presents in conjunction with Graphite (it's very user-friendly for casual users), so I've not spent a ton of time considering other options like InfluxDB, etc. as storage mechanisms that might work better for this situation.

Half-baked idea I've had to address this with Graphite + Grafana:

- Embed the finest resolution in the metric name upon generation
- Use carbon-{aggregator,relay} to steer counters in the right direction
-- That is, write 5-second samples into high-resolution database + roll them up into 1-min database
- Access via multiple data stores configured in Grafana

Before I invest a day and a half a bottle of whisky into trying that, I wanted to see if anyone has a better idea, or can point me towards some guidance. I've RTFM'd pretty thoroughly at this point, and not found an elegant solution.

Any feedback appreciated, including "no, just no."

You received this question notification because your team graphite-dev
is an answer contact for Graphite.