Re: Refactorisation progress : It works (but it's slow)

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 05:57:54PM +0100, Lionel Dricot wrote:
> I've very good news for myself : I see the light.

I had the chance to finally play with this, this afternoon.
Holy smokes!  I can't believe how much faster this works!

> The FilteredTree is now working nearly perfectly. It is rock-solid, even
> when loading 300 tasks at the same time. I also implemented the Closed
> Tasks pane with it. The FiltersBank is also working great.

I've found a few little bugs here and there (filed) but overall this
seems impressively quite solid.

> Bad news : with a lot of tasks, the start time is really really really
> slow. (like 10 times the current trunk launch time). On the other hand, it
> looks like other performance issues are mostly solved (like renaming a
> subtask in a task).
>
> So now, I need *you*. I need testing and profiling.

For testing purposes, I created a couple data sets which can be
imported to help stress test gtg:

 1. Go to Edit > Preferences > Plugins.  Check Import from JSON.
 2. Plugins > Import from JSON
 3. Enter one of these URLs:
    + http://bryceharrington.org/files/tasks_200.json
    + http://bryceharrington.org/files/tasks_2000.json

The first loads ~200 tasks (actually more like 150 I guess), the second
loads over 2000 tasks.

I've found the first one loads quite quickly, the second one takes a
minute or two to load.

With only the first loaded, the gtg UI is nicely responsive and quite
snappy.  I tagged bunches of tasks, marked 200 done at once, scrolled
around a lot, and the app was extremely responsive.

With the second loaded, the UI is quite sluggish until it has finished
processing all the new bugs (looks like it's saving them).  But after
that the UI is again impressively responsive.  Applying tag 'foobar' to
all 2000 tasks takes about a minute during which time the interface is
frozen, but it comes back fine without crashing.

Bryce