Re: Commenting-out code

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 12:33:26AM +0200, Luca Invernizzi wrote:
> I agree.  Since it seems that today is "clean up the messy code" day,
> I think it would be nice to have a *short* coding_guidelines page in
> the wiki, so that we can all agree on that, and have something that is
> easily findable.

I've stuck a permutation of my email into the HACKING doc in trunk,
since the 'contributing' page suggested looking there for detailed
guidelines on coding.  Feel free to move it if you think it'd be better
in the wiki.

> btw, I'm not sure that everyone is aware that we have online
> documentation: http://allievi.sssup.it/GTG/ (it's linked in the wiki,
> should be built overnight).

Right, nice.  I've added a link to it from both README and HACKING, to
give folks a few more ways to find it.

There are still many areas of the codebase without documentation, and
it'd be great if folks would adopt the practice of adding a short
docstring to functions and classes, or reviewing existing docstrings for
accuracy when making changes.  This can help get new developers up to
speed and fixing our bugs more swiftly.  ;-)

Even just leaving short comments explaining the function can be helpful,
since they often can be turned into docstrings with just a bit of
reformatting work.

Bryce