GTG web

Hello, GTGers.

Congratulations to Izidor and Lionel for releasing 0.2.9. :)

I see there is interest in continuing the web interface. I would really
like to continue my work on GTG web, because I do miss it.
My lack of activity since then was due to my focus on getting a masters
degree. I have just finished my final exams last week (yaay!) and I
basically have a free semester only to work on my thesis, so I have lots of
free time. :)
Also, there was the issue of Paul Kishimoto's project from 2010. which
wasn't finished, and the web interface depends on it. (well, it doesn't now
because it uses a dummy backend, but it needs a proper dbus server)

I think there are three options for a functional web interface:

1. Separating GTG to a client-server system with dbus interface between
them. I believe that was the original project.
2. Keeping a monolithic GTG with a dbus interface and running the web on
top of that - like the web view in Transmission. That means that server
needs to run on a desktop computer or that GTG should be modified so it can
run in the background without displaying anything.
3. Making the GTG web interface a regular django application with tasks in
models. There would be a lot of duplication of work, as the web interface
would be a completely separate project.

My preferred option would be 2. as it requires the least amount of work -
only expanding the dbus interface for the desktop mode. Bit more work for
it to work in the background.

What do you think?

Follow ups