Re: Inspiration for GTG: Footnote & ElementaryOS

2012/4/21 Izidor Matušov <izidor.matusov@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi fellow GTG geeks,
>
> I found this nice video of Footnote - a note taking app for ElementaryOS.
>
> http://2buntu.com/2012/04/19/footnote-has-fancy-animations/
>
> It looks pretty good. It has nice, simple editor. We maybe create some
> clutter animations as well. I love the way to ask about deleting a node with
> a single button in thte popup window which doesn't stand in way. Have a look
> yourself!

Animations are nice, but like everything else, they should serve a
purpose. They're an interaction language just as a simple button is.

For instance, in many mobile devices, when you select an item in a
menu, the screen slide to the left and the next menu (the submenu)
slide over from the right. It's not there to look nice (well, not
only). It's there to say to the user: 'Hey, should you like to get
back to the previous menu, do know that it's *on the left*". And
indeed, to get back, the UI generally provides *left-point arrows* or
similar clues. All this induces a specific perception of the UI in the
user's mind, so that this user can imagine/model how it supposedly
behaves, and therefore interact with it without frictions.

Here, I'm not really convinced that the animations shown in the video
are actually useful for anything, even though I agree that they are
fancy.

Note that I'm not against animations, I welcome them, but as a support
for UX, not fanciness.

> We might inspire for ongoing redesign in Footnote. As GTG has similar
> workflow and look as Tomboy/GNote, we might want to approach some features
> from Footnote.

Yes, they have some interesting ideas.

> I would like to ask you guys, if you were talking with guys from
> ElementaryOS? Wouldn't be our aimed complexity suitable to be part of
> ElementaryOS? (Just brainstorming, feel free to tell me that I am
> horribly wrong)

Why not, yes. Personally, I'd be happy to collaborate with other
projects, but then we need a clearer idea on what kind of
collaboration we could build, and what we could provide each other.

> Looking forward to your opinions,
> Izidor
>
> PS: Tell me when to stop posting similar apps to discuss here :-)

Please, continue ;-) Comparing (however time-consuming) is interesting
in the way that it allows to better define ourselves.