gtg-gsoc team mailing list archive

Re: GTG SoC starting !

Hi all,

  I printed my proposal to HTML and have attached it. Note there is an
initial version (top) and a revised one (bottom) based on Lionel's
comments. Some observations further down...

 * GUADEC seems like tons of fun, but I will be dragon boat racing at a
regatta in Montréal as it starts, which would make me miss half of it. I
don't know if it make sense for me to try to attend, or to take
sponsorship from someone who could be there the whole time :/

 * Communications-wise, I am on Jabber at xmpp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and
will begin using IRC (khaeru, my Launchpad handle), through I don't
habitually. I also notice I am 6 hours offset from all four of
you...GMT-4 vs. GMT+2. I guess this will make it seem like I am a very
early riser!

 * Regarding complementarity of work: one thing common to both my
initial & revised proposal is a survey of existing GTD tools. I proposed
that because there is definitely going to be some difference between:

 * The current GTG data model.
 * The GTG data model at the end of the SoC.
 * The data model used by "X" application, online tool or API — many
possibilities for X, including Karlo's new service

  I have even run into situations where a web-based tool offers exports
or an API to *only a subset* of its data; so the service as seen by
users and as seen by developers/API consumers are *different*.

  Even where two data models store the same information, sometimes one
version will have odd restrictions, e.g. character limits on certain
fields, etc.

  I think it is absolutely essential that we have a map of all this,
both to keep ourselves straight & help users understand what will happen
"under the hood" (like http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/Protocols%
20Support?highlight=%28video%29). A good way to start would be a common
Google spreadsheet or other document. What do you think?

--
Paul Kishimoto
MASc candidate (2010), Flight Systems & Control Group

http://paul.kishimoto.name — +19053029315