Re: My vision of backends in GTG

These are really interesting concepts, evidently there was a lot of
thought put into the various possibilities. Three points...

1. The first and second steps seem to be contradictory. The first says
that the name "Task A" will be globally unique, across all active
backends. But the second says that "Task A" will need to have an ID
specific to each backend that stores it—at least one, possibly several.

  Isn't the first step, in essence, turning the task name into a GUID?
And when using GUIDs, why is there any need for having distinct IDs in
the different backends? They are globally unique, so there should be no
collisions.

2. Sync issues will have to be considered for network backends. I've
been trying to use UbuntuOne (+ couchdb) but have been frustrated how it
resolves changes, like deleting files. Maybe some sort of graphical diff
presented to the user asking, "Which version do you want to keep?"

3. The multi-backend concept makes sense but it will be hard to make it
meaningful & simple for the end-user. This situation reminds me of the
user interface for Conduit (http://live.gnome.org/Conduit/Screenshots),
which is pretty, though not perfect, and tries to address the same
"multi-source, multi-sink, multi-way" config problem.

  Maybe what is needed is a table, with a ROW for every TAG, and a
COLUMN for every BACKEND. There are some default rows ("no tag", "all
tasks") and default columns ("local file"). In every cell is an icon for
[in] / [out] / [both] (or [source] / [target] / [both])——for import AND
read-only / export / read-write backends, respectively. Also a cell
could be empty.

  The user can click on each icon to change the behaviour. Some cells
could be locked...e.g. if the Bugzilla backend is configured (elsewhere)
to import bugs with the tag "bug", then the Bugzilla column would be
completely locked, contain an [in] icon on the @bug row, and nothing
else. Or, the "Local File" backend could have [both] on every row, and
also be locked. Etc.

  All in all, I am excited by what's to come!

Cheers,
--
Paul Kishimoto
MASc candidate (2010), Flight Systems & Control Group

http://paul.kishimoto.name — +19053029315