Re: Repetitive crash when starting GTG

Le 2010-06-01 00:37, Bryce Harrington a écrit :

>> $ gtg
>> Error parsing XML file
>> /home/arch/.local/share/gtg/longaplhanumericstring.xml: no element
>> found: line 1, column 0
>>
>> Of course, the file is zero bytes and the .bak is there

I'm still a fairly new GTG user, and got this problem a few times as
well on the first days.

> Right, that error message basically just means that for some reason the
> .xml file was zero'd out.

This should ideally never happen.  You'd say "Of course" of course :-).
Yet, and this is the point I would like to stress, an important file
like the GTG database, would it be XML, should never be directly opened
for writing.  Applications should write to another file in the same
directory, and only once this writing completed successfully, a rename
should put the newly written file in its proper place (removing the
original just to the rename).  Is there is a crash for any reason, at
least we fall back in some working state on restart.

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca