Problem with one of your commit and general rules in GTG dev

Hello Luca,

I just found out that in your revision 316.1.17 (2009-09-23), you reverted
two bugfixes without any apparent reason.

Unfortunatly, this has been merged by Bertrand without realizing that.

The fix you reverted are :

1) Instant apply of plugins when checking the box. This is required by the
HIG and absolutely needed before we can release GTG with the plugin
manager.

2) Localisation of the arrow to respect RTL language (I cannot imagine why
this has to be reverted). https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/gtg/+bug/412578

Could you please correct this an propose a branch that can be merged
before 0.2 release ? If this is not possible for you for whatever reason,
please tell us.

You are not alone doing this. I realized that we are merging stuff maybe a
bit quickly and I discovered some bugs that were fixed a while ago and
were reverted by happy-dont-care merges. I'm as much responsible as
anybody else here. The fact that 0.2 has derived much from 0.1.2 is one
part of the problem and we will try to release more often in the future.

Other stuffs to do :

1) Implement more and more tests. We have only a basic test suite and we
have to expect undiscovered regression. I'm also a bit scared because I
hope that every 81 solved bug for 0:2 is still solved. Maybe we should do
a 0.2.1 release that will only add tests and bugfixes.

2) Before proposing a merge, it's the responsability of the developer to
check that every bug solved after he branched is still solved. If Trunk
seems broken, never revert it! Just tell it and ask so we can find what
the reason is and try to fix the trunk instead of reverting it.

3) When taking the responsability of a merge, check if tests are passing
and ask the candidate if he cared about regressions. Also, check every
commit of the branch for code deletion. With Olive bzr, it's easy to do.

Yes, merging is not trivial. But regression are the worst of all. I will
try to apply the rules above to myself, hope that you will do the same.

Thanks everybody for reading :-)

Lionel

PS : I also discovered that some of you are using tabs. Please configure
your editor to use 4 spaces instead of a tab. Run "make pep8" regularly
and be sure that the number is lower after your commit than before.

PPS gtg : I'm also proposing Luca to receive commit access to GTG trunk.
GTG dev, you can answer me in private. The fact that he did a mistake is a
proof that we can trust him ;-) He seems very motivated and his help is
invaluable.

Follow ups