What about branching new releases?

Hello GTG devs,
 currently,  the TRUNK branch is freezed. Therefore, I'm fixing bugs and
 adding new stuff only locally, and probably someone else is doing that
 too.
 This is not really nice because:
    - If two of us change the same part of code, merging can be a hassle
    - I tend to forget to commit them after (I'm nearly a stackless
    state machine, that's why I need GTG)

I looked around a bit to see how other projects solve this issue, and it seems
that most of them create a revision branch at every release. This way,
trunk is left open and the patches which solve bugs for the "freezed"
release are applied to both branches. Plus, if a critical bug is found
in an already released version, it's easy to patch it and distribute the
update.

Tell me what you think about that.
  Luca

ps: I'm adding Bryce to the recipients because of his experience with
    these kind of things.

Follow ups