Fwd: Re: Proposal to use a different policy for translations for GTG

I find the idea very interesting. What do you think ?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Proposal to use a different policy for translations for GTG
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 13:56:29 +0100
From: Milo Casagrande <milo@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Lionel Dricot <ploum@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Lionel,

2010/1/30 Lionel Dricot <ploum@xxxxxxxxx>:
> I 100% agree with you that we should now care a bit more about quality
> of the translation. As gtg is intended to be a GNOME project, maybe it
> could also be linked with GNOME translation project ?

Using the GNOME Translation Project (GTP) would be even better!
But there could be some problems. I'll elaborate them below.

> I'm completely unaware of how translations should work and, to be
> honest, not really interested to learn too much right now. But I would
> like GTG to have an high translation quality.
>
> What do you suggest we should do right now? What would you do if you
> were the current maintainer of GTG?

So, right now, as the fastest solution possible, I would:
- Appoint the translations to the Launchpad Translators team: in this
way you are not tied to the Ubuntu Translators (since a lot of people
don't like that, even if the situation has drastically changed from
the past)
- Use a "Structured" policy
- As a bonus, avoid translations uploads directly in the code, and
strictly use the translations coming from Launchpad

This could be a temporary solution if you intend to take advantage of the
GTP.

Why there could be some problems? If you would like to use the GTP as
the driver for GTG translations, you have to use some of GNOME
infrastructure: at least, you need to have a copy of your code on
GNOME git, so that translators can get the code from there and upload
the translations there (all the translation teams in GNOME have git
commit access). But you need to keep this code synced between bzr and
git, and you have also to fetch translations from git into bzr when
you are ready for a release.
Unfortunately, there is no interaction between Launchpad and GNOME
translations infrastructure, yet. We can try to talk to Launchpad
Translation devs to see if it will be possible in the future to
address this concern ('cause there could be other projects that prefer
to use bzr over git, or Launchpad in general), but it could take quite
a lot of time.

> Thanks a lot for noticing us and for your advices.

Thank you for your attention.

--
Milo Casagrande <milo@xxxxxxxxxx>

Follow ups