gufw-developers team mailing list archive

[Question #67279]: [Ubuntu] Unable to recognize ports as open

New question #67279 on Gufw:
https://answers.launchpad.net/gui-ufw/+question/67279

I am running Ubuntu 9.04
The program I am concerned with is Transmission.
I am unable to get port scanning websites or Transmission to recognize a port as open.
Two days ago, I was running openSUSE and had the same port open (this is not an ISP issue)
I have taken all the steps I can think of to ensure this port is open, but Transmission still says "Port is Closed" when testing the active port.  When I use t1shopper.com's port scanner tool, it returns "Your IP isn't responding on port 40000 ()." It seems to me that the port should appear to be open. Again, I'm fairly certain that this is not an ISP issue and have tested other port numbers under the same conditions to verify this. I'm not sure what the next troubleshooting step is, and believe this is a problem with my ufw. I have the following indications:

ip addr shows this:
inet 192.168.1.102

I have routed port 40000 in my linksys router:
Appl: Trans
Start: 40000
End: 40000
Protocol: Both
IP Address: 192.168.1.102
Enabled: Yes

I have used Gufw to configure the following:
$ sudo ufw status
[sudo] password for awfeucht:

To                         Action  From
--                         ------  ----
40000                      ALLOW   Anywhere
40000/tcp                  ALLOW   Anywhere

This is what I get when I do sudo iptables -L:
$ sudo iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
ufw-before-logging-input  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ufw-before-input  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ufw-after-input  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ufw-after-logging-input  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ufw-reject-input  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:40000
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:40000
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:40000

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
ufw-before-logging-forward  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ufw-before-forward  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ufw-after-forward  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ufw-after-logging-forward  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ufw-reject-forward  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ufw-before-logging-output  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ufw-before-output  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ufw-after-output  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ufw-after-logging-output  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ufw-reject-output  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain ufw-after-forward (1 references)

Chain ufw-after-input (1 references)
RETURN     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp dpt:netbios-ns
RETURN     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp dpt:netbios-dgm
RETURN     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:netbios-ssn
RETURN     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:microsoft-ds
RETURN     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp dpt:bootps
RETURN     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp dpt:bootpc
RETURN     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            ADDRTYPE match dst-type BROADCAST

Chain ufw-after-logging-forward (1 references)

Chain ufw-after-logging-input (1 references)

Chain ufw-after-logging-output (1 references)

Chain ufw-after-output (1 references)

Chain ufw-before-forward (1 references)
ufw-user-forward  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain ufw-before-input (1 references)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ufw-logging-deny  all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state INVALID
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state INVALID
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp destination-unreachable
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp source-quench
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp time-exceeded
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp parameter-problem
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp echo-request
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp spt:bootps dpt:bootpc
ufw-not-local  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  BASE-ADDRESS.MCAST.NET/4  anywhere
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             BASE-ADDRESS.MCAST.NET/4
ufw-user-input  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain ufw-before-logging-forward (1 references)

Chain ufw-before-logging-input (1 references)

Chain ufw-before-logging-output (1 references)

Chain ufw-before-output (1 references)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW,RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW,RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ufw-user-output  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain ufw-logging-allow (0 references)

Chain ufw-logging-deny (2 references)

Chain ufw-not-local (1 references)
RETURN     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            ADDRTYPE match dst-type LOCAL
RETURN     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            ADDRTYPE match dst-type MULTICAST
RETURN     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            ADDRTYPE match dst-type BROADCAST
ufw-logging-deny  all  --  anywhere             anywhere            limit: avg 3/min burst 10
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain ufw-reject-forward (1 references)

Chain ufw-reject-input (1 references)

Chain ufw-reject-output (1 references)

Chain ufw-user-forward (1 references)

Chain ufw-user-input (1 references)
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:40000
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp dpt:40000
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:40000

Chain ufw-user-limit (0 references)
LOG        all  --  anywhere             anywhere            limit: avg 3/min burst 5 LOG level warning prefix `[UFW LIMIT BLOCK] '
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with icmp-port-unreachable

Chain ufw-user-limit-accept (0 references)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain ufw-user-logging-forward (0 references)

Chain ufw-user-logging-input (0 references)

Chain ufw-user-logging-output (0 references)

Chain ufw-user-output (1 references)

You received this question notification because you are a member of Gufw
Developers, which is an answer contact for Gufw.