gufw-developers team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #72444]: (G)UFW and Windows Network file/printer sharing

Question #72444 on Gufw changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/gui-ufw/+question/72444

Tim proposed the following answer:
Well, that could be a possibility!  Actually was having trouble with
samba itself.  So, I un-installed the samba package and reinstalled and
used Webmin to configure samba and I finally got Samba working
correctly.  Can access computers from my Linux box and can access my
Linux box from my Windose machines.  I added some rules manually to ufw
through the Linux shell: sudo ufw allow proto....... and so on.  I did
have the Gufw program running at the same time.  I would disable Gufw
and then re-enable and the rules showed up.  I can clearly see that I
was not entering my rules properly in my Gufw.  So now I still have
access both ways with my computers, Linux to Windows and Windows to
Linux with firewall enabled.  I still have a problem with the firewall
blocking access when I access my dropdown menu from the Gnome desktop
panel: Places/Network.  It does pull up the folder and shows the network
icon but when you click on the network icon it does not show anything at
all and it should be showing my workgroup.  I do know that when clicking
on the network icon it accesses smb:/// .  Now here is the funny part, I
can access all my computers through direct access by typing in
smb://nameofcomputer/nameoffoldershare/ and so on.  So I really don't
think it is blocking samba all together.  My thinking is that there may
be one more port I need to open possibly so I can access the workgroup.
I just don't know which one.  Any help on this would be appreciated.
Maybe someone else will learn something from this post as well.

Regards,
Tim

--
You received this question notification because you are a member of Gufw
Developers, which is an answer contact for Gufw.