gufw-developers team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #98742]: ShieldsUP fails on the "ping".

Question #98742 on Gufw changed:
https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/gui-ufw/+question/98742

leoquant posted a new comment:
***** I would strongly recommend that Ubuntu and other Linux
distributions intended for home users include a pre-configured firewall
which passes the ShieldsUP test. Windows XP SP2 and later versions of
Windows include this with the "Windows Firewall", which I've been told
starts early in the boot process. An equivalent firewall in Linux for
home users should always be enabled and unobtrusive. Now I have that
with gufw, but I'm very puzzled that you need to edit the "before.rules"
file, I'm not sure many home users will have the patience to do that.
*****

turbolad thank you for your feedback, this is also much appreciated. Maybe (g)ufw has an ambition to become the default (desktop?) firewall on Ubuntu, and Marcos is doing great things, for several years now.
Gufw itself is extrem. easy the set-up, but your point: passing the Shiels-up "ping-test" should be taken into account, earlier versions of Gufw had that "disable ping" option afaik.
Again thank you very taking the time asking questions and giving us great feed-back.
An additional outstanding how to : http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/firewall-ubuntu-gufw/
Makes it even possible to limit outbound traffic.

--
You received this question notification because you are a member of Gufw
Developers, which is an answer contact for Gufw.