gufw-developers team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #101430]: Difference between Deny and Reject

Question #101430 on Gufw changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/gui-ufw/+question/101430

Panagiotis Ligopsychakis is still having a problem:
Checking the manual from the ubuntu terminal about the ufw configuration i found that the difference between the Deny and Reject rules is as follows:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Sometimes it is desirable to let the sender know when traffic is  being
       denied,  rather  than  simply  ignoring  it. In these cases, use reject
       instead of deny.  For example:

         ufw reject auth
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I understand this means that:
Reject: the system simply just ignores all incoming packets
Deny: the system ignores all incoming packets but informs the sender that it has been rejected.

This is something completely different from what it is mentioned here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gufw#Enabling

I think that letting the sender to know that he has been rejected doesn't have anything to do with the response of the machine to pings.
Am I right and the how to in the link above is wrong? Am I wrong? or something in between?

I hope to get an answer soon because the security of a system is
something really important...

--
You received this question notification because you are a member of Gufw
Developers, which is an answer contact for Gufw.