hipl-core team mailing list archive

Re: HIP hexdump patch

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 15:25:22 +0200, René Hummen <rene.hummen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Stefan Götz was kind enough to have a look at the code responsible for outputting hexdumps and he changed it quite a bit. You can find his patch against trunk revision 4926 attached to this mail. Please have a look at it and test it.

I like the prettyprinting, but the code would probably more concise and readable if it printed lines directly rather than fidgeting around with buffers (besides, stdio maintains an own buffer anyway). I realize it wouldn't be half as fun to write then, though :)

Also:

+    assert(q < 16);
[...]
+        assert(line_result == 1);

Prefer HIP_ASSERT here.

+    const int high_quad = (c & 0xF0) >> 4;
+    const int low_quad = c & 0x0F;

OK but compilers figure out c / 0x10 and c % 0x10 nowadays AFAIK.

Keep in mind that long lines should be broken appropriately.