holland-coredev team mailing list archive

Re: Holland 1.1.0a1

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 1:40 PM, BJ Dierkes <wdierkes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Andy,
>
> Great work on this.  Really, I think I speak for everyone on the team that...  your commitment to this project and the work you've done is really superb.  I'm really looking forward to trying this out, as well as getting familiar with the test suite so I can start helping contribute there.  One of my biggest concerns when working with holland (when I can make time to) is that I don't know if a change is going to break something.  I think we should set a goal for test coverage before 1.1 becomes GA.  Would it be feasible to make a goal for 100% test coverage?  I assume so for holland-core (probably is already) but what about everything outside of core?
>
> Again, great work on this.

Thanks for the kind words.   I agree that we should have strong
testing goals for GA.   I'm hesitant to define a strict % goal, but
certainly having 90%+ coverage for holland.core/holland.cli is well
within reach.  For the plugins themselves just having a basic testing
structure where we can even start to get those metrics would be
useful.   Testing libraries is fairly easy (or at least
straightforward), but reproducibly testing all the combinations of
configurations parameters of the backup plugins starts to make my
brain hurt.

I think documentation is another critical goal to attract
contributors.  On that note I've done some work this weekend to get
some useful developer oriented documentation out there.
Understanding the basic internals will hopefully make it easier for
others to write good test cases (instead of black box guessing) and
elicit constructive criticism of questionable design designs on my
part.

~Andy