holland-discuss team mailing list archive

Re: Merged external command hooks contribution

On Mar 29, 2011, at 9:07 AM, Andrew Garner wrote:

> Contributed by Ben Osheroff here:
>
> https://github.com/holland-backup/holland/pull/70
>
> This allows running an arbitrary shell command at specific points in
> the backup process.  Some initial documentation can be found here:
>
> http://docs.hollandbackup.org/config.html#backup-set-configs
>
> Feedback would be appreciated before we include this into the 1.0.8
> stable release.

I setup a simple test to capture failures to have it fire off an e-mail. Works pretty well! Right now, I have it just doing a tail of the error log on failure; it would be nice if there were a way to capture the log from the running backup that caused the failure instead of tailing the file. That doesn't sound trivial though and the tailing of the log works good enough.

The only other suggestion I had was that the log output for the hooks doesn't feel consistent with the other logging mechanisms in holland. The issue is merely cosmetic but thought I would mention it anyway.

Otherwise, the tool works great! Even handles cases were I was doing something silly fairly well (like trying to tail a non-existng log-file, or missing a quote, etc.).

To this point, I have only tried the backup failure hook but I definitely like what I see!

Tim