Re: RadeonHD+IntelGMA switchable

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010, Ruslan N. Marchenko wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010, Albert Vilella wrote:

No problems. I am glad you got it working, the 4820TG seems like it's
going to be a very successful
model for Linux users, you are a pioneer here :-)

Some observations:
First: When discrete is off (DDIS) Xorg behaves itseld somewhat unstable, and
kernel scorns with
[ 3430.695445] [drm:atom_op_jump] *ERROR* atombios stuck in loop for more than 1sec aborting
[ 3430.697491] [drm:atom_execute_table_locked] *ERROR* atombios stuck executing CAE2 (len 62, WS 0, PS 0) @ 0xCAFE
when starting and terminating X - everything is ok once  DIS is pwron (ON).
However X is still working somehow, with delays of about 30sec of kernel
flooding above messages on start and stop.

Second: When IGD is off (and inactive) but X is starting on it (yes, it is
still able to initialise intel driver without any notice of disabled adapter
or functionaity, and X falls to it bcz of last note) - it will hang the
console (not responding, with black or graphic noise on the screen) though,
i'm still able to ssh to box, but even killing X doesnt reset console
(similar behaviour I noticed in old days playing with early
svgalib)

And finaly - I haven't managed to run X on discrete card since radeonhd lacks
support od ATI HD5650 and ATI Catalyst (fglrx) - of kernel 2.6.34 %)

Looping the list and adding couple of things - might be someone will give
a hint.

Using this advice http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1510376 I've
managed to build and install fglrx for 2.6.34, however now I have
following error when starting discrete gfx:

(II) fglrx(0): Bad V_BIOS checksum
(II) fglrx(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
(II) fglrx(0): Invalid ATI BIOS from int10, the adapter is not VGA-enabled
(EE) fglrx(0): Invalid video BIOS signature!
(EE) fglrx(0): GetBIOSParameter failed
(EE) fglrx(0): PreInitAdapter failed
(EE) fglrx(0): PreInit failed
(II) fglrx(0): === [atiddxPreInit] === end
(II) UnloadModule: "fglrx"
(II) UnloadModule: "fglrxdrm"
(II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libvgahw.so
(II) UnloadModule: "fglrxdrm"

Can it be caused by loaded radeon.ko? I've tried with both, igd pwr on and
off. I can't try and remove module radeon since it is used and I haven't
enabled forced rmmod in kernel.

---
 Looking forward to reading yours.
   Ruslan N. Marchenko