http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=248837&highlight=M11x

In there you will learn that the implementation of optimus is rather different from the stuff we see in others. But someone made a customized version of the kernel hack that DOES turn off the nVidia GPU to reduce power draw. There is not yet a method that will enable the nvidia core for video output and lately there hasn't been any work on that as far as I can see. Your dream of playing games with high performance will need to wait until someone comes up with how this is done.

Also, in the thread, you will see my own contribution of adding automatic compile and installation of new kernel hack modules when new kernels are updated.

On 01/17/2011 01:48 PM, Marco Maso wrote:
forwarding to the ML

Inizio messsaggio inviato:

Data: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 17:32:13 -0000
Da: hfzorman<hfzorman@xxxxxxxxx>
A: Marco Maso<demind@xxxxxxxxx>
Oggetto: Log of an Alienware M11x R2 (Optimus powered-netbook)

I have tried the instructions described in the "Resources" section just
to help out here. I would love to stop using Windows to play games.
Anyway, I got everything else fine but when I run the "turns off" script
everything fails. Here is the information required in the initial page
and the output I got when everything failed.

1. System information:
hfranqui@hfranqui-M11x-R2:~/acpi_call$ sudo dmidecode -s system-product-
name
M11x R2

hfranqui@hfranqui-M11x-R2:~/acpi_call$ sudo dmidecode -s system-version
A03

hfranqui@hfranqui-M11x-R2:~/acpi_call$ lspci -vnnn | perl -lne 'print if
/^\d+\:.+(\[\S+\:\S+\])/' | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Core
Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0046] (rev 02) (prog-if
00 [VGA controller])
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GT215
[GeForce GT 335M] [10de:0caf] (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

2. Output following the "resources" section:
hfranqui@hfranqui-M11x-R2:~$ git clone
http://github.com/mkottman/acpi_call.git
Initialized empty Git repository in /home/hfranqui/acpi_call/.git/
remote: Counting objects: 90, done.
Unpacking objects: 100% (90/90), done.

hfranqui@hfranqui-M11x-R2:~$ cd acpi_call

hfranqui@hfranqui-M11x-R2:~/acpi_call$ make

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.35-24-generic/build M=/home/hfranqui/acpi_call
modules
make[1]: se ingresa al directorio ��/usr/src/linux-
headers-2.6.35-24-generic��
   CC [M]  /home/hfranqui/acpi_call/acpi_call.o
   Building modules, stage 2.
   MODPOST 1 modules
   CC      /home/hfranqui/acpi_call/acpi_call.mod.o
   LD [M]  /home/hfranqui/acpi_call/acpi_call.ko
make[1]: se sale del directorio ��/usr/src/linux-
headers-2.6.35-24-generic��

hfranqui@hfranqui-M11x-R2:~/acpi_call$ sudo insmod acpi_call.ko

hfranqui@hfranqui-M11x-R2:~/acpi_call$ ./test_off.sh
Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P1.VGA._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P2.VGA._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB_.PCI0.OVGA.ATPX: failed
Trying \_SB_.PCI0.OVGA.XTPX: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P3.PEGP._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P2.PEGP._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P1.PEGP._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.MXR0.MXM0._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.PEG1.GFX0._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.PEG1.GFX0.DOFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.XVR0.Z01I.DGOF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.PEGR.GFX0._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.PEG.VID._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P2.DGPU._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P4.DGPU.DOFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.IXVE.IGPU.DGOF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.RP00.VGA._PS3: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.RP00.VGA.P3MO: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.GFX0.DSM._T_0: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.LPC.EC.PUBS._OFF: failed
Trying \_SB.PCI0.P0P2.NVID._OFF: failed

Hope this helps you in anyway. I would love to help as much as I can
because I really want to use all the power of this notebook under
Ubuntu.
H��ctor