Re: XPS L501X - switching nVidia off

*PROCEDURE TO RUN CUDA(NON GRAPHICS APPLICATIONS) ON HYBRID GRAPHICS LAPTOPS
*

Hi,

In my case i am running cuda(non graphics/opengl applications) on DELL XPS
L501X (i5, 420m gt, 4gb). I could get it as follows:

1) Go to this link (which many people would have already been doing)
http://art.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1625433, to install nvidia
driver on your machine. **When it reboots you go to the terminal tty1. DON'T
worry.

2) Reboot your machine to the recovery mode. Run it in the failsafe graphics
mode. from there restore your default(generic) graphics configuration.
reboot. It now starts your desktop without any problem.

3) Install CUDA toolkit and gpu computing sdk as described in the same link
as above.

4) Now the usual step one would take to run deviceQuery first of all, just
after installing the sdk, and would face the message of failure. Just run
sudo nvidia-smi. Then run the same ./deviceQuery.

Is not it less problematic?

Cheers,
-Bapi