Asus K52JC

Hello guys, i'm a bit lost here. I've been reading a lot on linux hybrid
graphics possibilitys, i even tried some scripts, none worked. I have nvidia
310M and intel HD graphics on my system, 1GB mem.
Currently i'm using ubuntu 10.10, what are exactly the right methods for my
testing? my main doubts are these:

What exactly are our main goals here? getting the "switch cards" working, or
getting the nvidia driver working? Because right now i can't install any
nvidia driver, or else my ubuntu boots in command line mode. So, if i can't
install the nvidia card, it means i can't use it. And if i can't use it, i
don't see the point of getting a script to switch my graphics to nvidia! I'm
confused.

Also, i heard some people talking about the bios setup. Now this is the
funny part, when i first bought this laptop, i remember going to bios and
there was actually an option on the graphic card. something like "enable
windows 7" or something like that, there were 2 settings i can choose. Now
the weird part... after some days playing with windows 7, i decided to
update my bios to the latest firmware. and guess what? that graphic options
completely disapear. I have no longer that settings available, they're
missing. So, going to bios won't work for me now. not anymore.

So, after that said, i'm sure wanting to contribute to these community with
my tests, but i don't know exactly what commands to do or stuff to install.
cheers

Follow ups