Noob Guidance Requested: Vostro 3400

I've got a newer Vostro 3400 with the dreaded optimus nvidia / intel piggy
back flippy floppy hybrid display of doom.  I love the comparison to the
Voodoo cards of yesteryear *sigh*.

After much consternation I was able to install the 64bit Ubuntu 10.10 using
the alternative text installer iso.  It booted to the ubuntu graphical logon
screen, but after I typed in my credentials it went to a black screen (yet I
could hear the ubuntu startup sound).

I rebooted to recovery network root... apt-get update, then upgrade..
installed git and grabbed the ascpi tool  per this post:
http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/2010/07/using-acpicall-module-to-switch-onoff.html

It found one "it works" (the last one) in the .test_off.sh script   BUT now
 (still in console mode) i'm getting BUG : soft lockup - cpu #0  stuck for
61s! kslowd 000:993
stack call track and a bunch of hex codes.  I'm assuming this is a bad thing
so I shouldn't make this change permanent and load it at boot?  right?

TL:DR  I tried the ACPI shutoff but now getting soft lockup bug.  How can I
best disable/ignore the discrete nvidia so I can start using ubuntu 10.10 on
my vostro 3400?

help me hybrid graphics list, you're my only hope (well that and quora...)
 I'm a setback or two more away from returning the 3400 for an intel video
only machine or *gulp* going back to the darkside (win7) :(

Follow ups