Re: Optimus Solution found!!!! Using my Nvidia card in my Alienware M11X R2!!!

> I will keep the howto and todo list updated here:
>
> http://www.martin-juhl.dk/2011/05/optimus-on-linux-problem-solved/

	Sounds pretty cool. Going to give it a go later today. I have
the M11x-R2 as well.

	A few comments for your howto:

> Further Idea’s:
> Maybe a seperate X-server for the Nvidia card is the way to go, so we
> can shut that down as well when not used...
>
> Try to get both the Intel and the Nvidia libraries installed at the
> same time, so that 3D is enabled for both cards..

	While I was experimenting vnc approaches before, I set it up so
it's running two X servers, with both intel and nvidia 3d working.

	Firstly I had to run both X on the same vt by using the
-sharevts switch. I usually set my default xorg.conf (run by gdm) to
use the intel display.

	Secondly, there's a -modulepath switch, so I created
a duplicate of /usr/lib/xorg/modules (let's
say /usr/lib/xorg/modules.nvidia), and symlink all
the files from /usr/lib/xorg/modules, except extensions/libglx.so,
which I symlink it to the real nvidia library. And when you want to run
a GL app using the nvidia libGL, set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/nvidia
(this is where the nvidia libGL is on my setup).

	I'm on Debian and using all the nvidia binary driver from Debian
(non-free). It uses the "alternatives" (/etc/alternatives/) approach
for things like libglx.so and libGL, so I don't have to deal with them
myself.

	Another way is to use a chroot maybe, but that's a bit overkill
I think.

	Another quick note. I notice in your xorg.conf you've set your
resolution to 1024x768 and with IgnoreEDID for the nvidia. What I've
done was using read-edid to read the monitor edid when using the intel
card, then use CustomEDID "/path/to/that.edid".

Pigeon.