Semi working ati hybrid system

Having some issues getting my hybrid graphics to work. Been having issues
for a long time but now some headway is being made and hoping there is a fix
for the problem I am still experiencing.

I have an HP Pavilion dv7 notebook with an integrated Intel graphics card
using the i915 driver. The discrete card is an Ati 6740. Today I downloaded
the Catalyst 11.9 drivers and followed the instructions at the unnoficial
wiki to install them. After installing I ran "aticonfig --initial -f" and
the command worked, first time it has on this machine. With high hopes I
rebooted. All was not well however.

On reboot it got to the Ubuntu Plymouth bootscreen, then the logo gets
garbled and the mouse cursor displays,but no login screen. The system
underneath however is working. I can still login if I know which keys to
press (Enter, password, Enter). If I switch to ctrl-alt-f1 then back with
ctrl-alt-f7, I can then actually see the expected screen. However, any
interaction runs but the screen does not get updated. I.e. click icon on
unity launcher and the computer starts loading the program but I never see
it happen. Ctrl-alt-f1, ctrl-alt-f7 is necessary to see the changes on the
desktop. It seems that the display is not being updated as it should, even
though mouse displays fine.

I have disabled tls and acpi-services to see if that helped but no joy. Does
anyone have any input that might fix this? I seem so close, and would love
to get my discrete card working.

Follow ups