No way to have X11 working when external monitor is plugged in at boot

Hi,

I own an Asus N53SN running Ubuntu precise (was oneiric before upgrade). This machine is an Optimus machine. When booting the computer with an external monitor plugged in either through VGA or HDMI, the X11 server doesn't come up and I get "crt_*" messages. Stuck to console mode, I then get these same messages when switching from on tty to the other.

However, if I boot unplugged and plug in as soon as I loaded the kernel in grub, everything works fine.

Do other people experience the same issue ? I browsed a lot on the various mailing list and Linux forums but didn't find anything.

Thanks,

Renaud.