Bumblebee for Hybrid SLI (Nvidia MCP79 / 9400M G / 9200M GS) on Dell Studio XPS 13 (1340)

Hi folks, I'm having trouble using Bumblebee with my laptop's graphics and
haven't been able to track down much information. Can anyone point me in
the right direction?

Here are the details on my laptop:

Dell Studio XPS 13 (aka 1340)
Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 processor
Nvidia MCP79 motherboard
Nvidia 9500M GE Hybrid SLI graphics (
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-9500M-GE-Hybrid-SLI.14029.0.html
)
 - Integrated: GeForce 9400M G (
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-9400M-G.11949.0.html)
 - Dedicated: Nvidia GeForce 9200M GS (
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-9200M-GS.9453.0.html)

I am able to use the integrated graphics card without a problem using
Nvidia's proprietary driver. However, when I install bumblebee and
bumblebee-nvidia via the PPA as directed (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee),
for some reason X runs with the Nouveau driver instead. When I try to run
the bumblebee daemon, it exits with the message "No Optimus system
detected."

I've tried explicitly setting the driver to nvidia in bumblebee.conf, but
no joy. Is there some configuration that I'm missing? Anything else I can
try?

Obviously, the error message is accurate -- I don't have Optimus -- but the
Bumblebee wiki says it supports "legacy nVidia hybrid graphics" (
https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bumblebee/wiki/), and a mailing list
post refers to it working with Hybrid SLI on an Asus machine (
https://lists.launchpad.net/asus-ul30/msg00453.html).

On the other hand, a post on this mailing list a few months ago about the
1340 (https://lists.launchpad.net/hybrid-graphics-linux/msg02223.html)
didn't receive much response, and this model is listed on the Bumblebee
wiki as a "weird machine" (
https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bumblebee/wiki/Weird-machines).

That wiki entry was created six months ago, however, prior to the new
version of Bumblebee. In addition, the ACPI call for disabling the discrete
card on this model is known (
http://luizfar.wordpress.com/2010/06/29/how-to-switch-off-xps1340-discrete-video-card-on-linux/)
and the DSDT/ACPI details have been available for some time (
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/312756/comments/17).
So, it seems like it would be odd if Bumblebee didn't at least have the
ability to turn off the card via an ACPI call.

Any help welcome!

Thank you,
Michael

Follow ups