Re: Hello, and question

On Friday 25 April 2014 12:01:24 Tomas Neme wrote:
> Hi, I've been fighting to get decent battery life out of my laptop
> under *nix pretty much since I got it. I've got bumblebee installed
> and all looks like it should, but the machine still runs oddly hot.
>
> Is there some way of knowing what's going on, whether the nvidia
> adapter is actually off or what?

Run:

    cat /proc/acpi/bbswitch

If it outputs something with ON, then you are wasting power. Otherwise,
if it outputs OFF, then you are OK. This is not a standard interface
by the way, it is provided by the "bbswitch" kernel module included
with Bumblebee.

On Friday 25 April 2014 12:03:06 Tomas Neme wrote:
> here's lspci by the way:
>
> lacrymology@Roller:~$ lspci -vmk | grep -A 8 -B 2 VGA

<snip>

> Device:    01:00.0
> Class:    VGA compatible controller
> Vendor:    NVIDIA Corporation
> Device:    GF108M [GeForce GT 540M]
> Rev:    ff
> ProgIf:    ff

This is another way to detect whether your card is off or not. If the
card is on, you will see something other than "ff" for the Rev field.

Kind regards,
Peter