instant team mailing list archive

Re: Make instant go faster (patch)

2011/1/26 Joachim Berdal Haga <jobh@xxxxxxxxx>:
> The attached patch makes instant much faster.
> For my DOLFIN simulator, the time for startup (until the time loop is
> reached) is reduced from 3.1s to 1.5s with fully populated instant cache,
> and from 60 seconds to 31 seconds with clean cache.
> The patch just adds in-process caching of pkg-config calls, of the
> swig-version call, and it collapses two calls to "python setup.py" into one.
> It is a bit ugly, it was done in a hurry, but I thought the improvements
> were good enough to share. Lightly tested, seems to work.
> (I am actually very surprised by the clean-cache improvement, which seems
> much too large. It makes me uneasy about the patch. But my simulator seems
> to run the same as before...)
> -j.

I'm not that surprised, I don't think anybody has thought much about
that kind of optimization in Instant.

Running throught the PyDOLFIN demos is perhaps a good idea if you want
to be safe.

(Note: This is just a comment, I'm not applying the patch since I
don't have an environment to test anything at the moment)

--
Martin