ius-community team mailing list archive

Re: Two Pythons

On Mar 23, 2010, at 11:08 AM, Victor Subervi wrote:

> Hi;
> According to the site docs:
>
> Note: IUS Packages replace stock RHEL packages, however they do not obsolete them.  Meaning, you can’t just ‘yum upgrade’ and get our packages… you need to first remove the stock RHEL package such as mysql, and replace it with the IUS package such as mysql51.
>
> Now, I don't want to wipe my current python installation; rather, I want to install a second python. Please advise.

Hey Victor,

We actually have two different package 'types'... Conflicting Replacement Packages, and Parallel Installable Packages:

http://wiki.iuscommunity.org/Doc/ClientUsageGuide#Package_Types

The python26 and python31 packages are parallel installable and will not disrupt your system version of Python.

---
BJ Dierkes
Linux Systems Engineer IV / [RH]acker
Infrastructure Services [Development]