ius-community team mailing list archive

RHEL/Yum Adds Better Support for IUS Package Naming Convention

As is documented in a number of places (soon to be removed though), IUS packages introduced an incompatibility with how Yum handled compare_providers.  The issue is outlined in LP#453543 [1].  That said, as of upstream version 3.2.26 [2] and RHEL 5.5/6.0 (backported: 3.2.22-23) Yum now better supports the IUS package naming convention.

In short, IUS names its packages slightly off from stock package names.  For example, mysql becomes mysql50 or mysql51... php becomes php52 or php53, etc.  The reason is outlined in FAQ #1098 [3].  This introduced a dependency issue where if you tried to install a package that say "Requires: php-mysql" ... if you had php52 installed, yum would previously attempt to install stock php-mysql  rather than the more appropriate php52-mysql.  As of the latest release, Yum now checks to see if a providers 'base package' is installed, and if so awards it points in the comparison process.  This makes php52-mysql win out as a better provider for the dependency 'php-mysql' becuase it a) provides php-mysql and b) it's base package (php52) is already installed.  Does that sound confusing?

Many thanks to the Yum developers for accepting our request and helping make IUS the best 3rd party repo for upgrading RHEL!