ius-community team mailing list archive

PHP 5.4 zendopcache and apcu

Hi IUS team,

I was wondering if Zend Opcache and APCu could be supplied by IUS for PHP 5.4.

It’s known that APC has some instabilities, and is no longer developed. I myself am aware even the latest release has segmentation faults on high load. Zend OPcache has since become in some eyes the preferred solution. APCu also allows maintaining compatibility with scripts that use the user cache, which is not as hard to maintain as the opcode cache.

IUS provide php55-opcache, and php55-pecl-apcu, however I see that git repositories are maintained for the pecl releases for PHP 5.4, but no packages have been added to the yum repositories.

Using PHP 5.5 so that these extensions can be used is not yet an option for some software and frameworks, e.g. Magento, and PHP 5.3, which is generally more stable with APC, is basically EOL if not using the distribution base versions.

If you would like any help testing them to get them released, let me know.

Andy

Follow ups