ius-community team mailing list archive

Re: EOL notice for php53u

On 07/31/2014 01:51 PM, Ben Harper wrote:
On 05/14/2014 09:35 AM, Ben Harper wrote:
Greetings,

The PHP Group will soon be EOLing PHP 5.3. While they have not directly released an EOL date, they did decide that PHP 5.3 will have one year with security fixes only after the announcement of 5.5 final release[0]. PHP 5.5 got released on June 20, 2013 [1]. This means the EOL date should be around June 20, 2014.

Once PHP 5.3 becomes EOL, the IUS php53u packages (including modules) will be moved out of the stable repositories. They will still be available in the archive repositories. While not recommended, you can install packages from the archive repositories with something like the following:

# yum install PACKAGE_NAME --enablerepo=ius-archive

Thanks,
Ben and the rest of the IUS covedev team

[0]https://wiki.php.net/rfc/php53eol
[1]http://php.net/archive/2013.php#id2013-06-20-1

Greetings,

We have learned that the PHP Group plans on doing one last release of PHP 5.3 before making it EOL[2]. PHP's git repos do show some work is being done on the 5.3.29 release[3]. As soon as it gets released we will make RPMs. We will only keep these RPMs in the stable repos for month before moving all php53u packages into the archive repos.

Thanks,
Ben and the rest of the IUS covedev team

[2] http://marc.info/?l=php-internals&m=140274998404052&w=2
[3] http://git.php.net/?p=php-src.git;a=commitdiff;h=1ffb7fddc233f1f64290c54fde478a5c2be5db99;hp=c74efe1b2efd7222b27d36f383623cd19ed0e102

Last last week the PHP Group released PHP 5.3.29 [4]. We have already built these packages and they are available in the testing repos. You can track the process in the following bugs:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ius/+bug/1356968
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ius/+bug/1356967

Since this is the last release and PHP will not longer support 5.3, we will leave the 5.3.29 packages in the stable repos for 30 days. Once that time is up, all php53u packages will get moved into the archive repos.

[4] http://php.net/index.php#id2014-08-14-1