ius-community team mailing list archive

RFC IUS php 5.6 FPM

Greetings,

The initial build of IUS php56u packages will be hitting the testing repo tonight for Red Hat and CentOS 7. We would like some input on how to handle the FPM package. Historically Red Hat and IUS packages have taken approach that FPM would be used with Red Hat's default web server, Apache. With the popularity of Nginx and other web servers, we want to reevaluate this approach.

Up until recently, the main php package (php54 and php55u) required Apache for mod_php and the php FPM logs were owned by the apache user. Since both php54 and php55u had been in the stable repos for some time, we were very cautious about making changes. We removed the requirement for Apache, but kept the logs owned by the apache user[0].

Seeing that php56u is a brand new package, we can afford to completely rethink how we handle php FPM. We could follow Red Hat lead and assume FPM will be used with Apache. We could also do what we did with php53u and php54. Another option would be not to require Apache and have the logs owned by a new user like http, php, php-fpm or some other user. Are there other ideas we should consider?

Thanks,
Ben and the rest of the IUS covedev team

[0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ius/+bug/1312972

Follow ups