ius-community team mailing list archive

Re: future of python26-lxml and other python26 modules

On 09/15/2014 11:54 AM, Ben Harper wrote:
Greetings,

With the new release of the lxml module[0], it now requires a newer version of libxslt(-devel) than what Red Hat provides in EL 5. Typically, IUS does not want to build a whole chain of dependencies, as we want our packages built off stock EL. We have had made exceptions in the past if it is worth the effort. Please note if IUS were to build a libxslt27u package, manually steps would been needed to upgrade libxslt to libxslt27u as IUS packages do not obsolete stock packages.

I am trying to determine if there is still a need for this package. Since Python 2.6 has been EOL'd since October 29, 2013[1], should we just EOL all python26 modules (python26-elixir, python26-jsonschema, python26-lxml and python26-memcached)?

Please let us know if you use any of the python26 modules, if you feel we should EOL them or if you have other ideas on how we should proceed.

Thanks,
Ben and the rest of the IUS covedev team

[0] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/lxml/3.4.0
[1] https://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.9/