ius-community team mailing list archive

Re: umirr - a new mirror list service

On 04/17/2015 08:05 AM, Carl George wrote:
Howdy,

Most IUS users consume our packages indirectly through our mirror network.  The
geographically relative mirrorlist is generated by a service called dmirr [0].
We have decided to migrate to a new application called umirr [1].  The
migration will occur in the following stages.

1. Community members volunteer to install the latest version of the ius-release
    RPM [2] from our development repos.
2. The new ius-release RPM will move to the testing repos for more testing.
3. The new ius-release RPM will move to the stable repos.
4. We will change the DNS record for dmirr.iuscommunity.org to point to
    mirrors.iuscommunity.org.

The final stage is necessary because some users skip the release package and
manually create their yum repo configuration file.  Since umirr accepts
identical parameters as dmirr, the transition should be seamless.

If you would like to opt-in to help with stage 1, please let us know!  You
would just need to install the latest version of ius-release from our
development repos (and possible merge the rpmnew files if you have made
previous edits).

     yum --enablerepo=ius-dev upgrade ius-release
     find /etc/yum.repos.d -name '*.rpmnew'

[0] https://github.com/rackerlabs/dmirr
[1] https://github.com/iuscommunity/umirr
[2] https://github.com/iuscommunity-pkg/ius-release