ius-community team mailing list archive

Re: correct way to use mysql55 from ius on centos 5

Howdy Joe,

We never could finalize an ideal migration plan to rename mysql55 to mysql55u.
There are too many variables involved with trying to require/recommend a service
restart.  We decided that the only safe action is no action.  The conflicting
rpm "mysql55" is a metapackage to pull in the other SCL rpms, and it is still at
version 1; based on the past release dates [1][2][3] and the published SCL
lifecycle [4], we believe that EL5 will reach EOL (2017-03-31) [5] before this
version gets high enough to cause update issues for IUS users (our mysql55 rpm
is at version 5.5.44).  To be absolutely safe, users can add "exclude=mysql55*"
to the file /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo.  This step would be required if
Red Hat later adds an epoch to the mysql55 SCL rpm.  Likewise, a user that wants
to use the mysql55 SCL rpm but have IUS enabled should add "exclude=mysql55*" to
the file /etc/yum.repos.d/ius.repo.

Our concerns are reduced even further by a number of other factors.

* SCL rpms for EL6 are provided in a separate channel/repo, so this problem only
affects EL5.
* Discussion on mailing lists indicate that Red Hat will be prefixing future SCL
metapackages with "rh-", helping prevent naming conflicts.
* Over time our packages that are missing the "u" suffix will reach EOL until
all our packages follow the new naming scheme.

For good measure, we did add a note about the conflicting package on our website
section comparing IUS packages to SCL packages [6].

[1] http://developerblog.redhat.com/2013/09/12/rhscl1-ga/
[2] http://developerblog.redhat.com/2014/06/04/red-hat-software-collections-rhscl-1-1-now-ga/
[3] http://developerblog.redhat.com/2014/10/30/red-hat-software-collections-1-2-now-ga/
[4] https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/rhscl/