ius-coredev team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #177453]: Installing IUS package :Failed dependencies

Question #177453 on IUS Community Project changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ius/+question/177453

Soonho Kim gave more information on the question:
Dear BJ;

Thanks so much for your comments.
I did the commands. Then I tried to catch some info from /etc/my.cnf

==================
rroot@ip-173-201-34-240 [~]# cat /etc/my.cnf
##  _______________________________________________________________________
## / Rackspace MySQL 5.1 Terse Configuration File v2.12                    \
## |                                                                       |
## | This is a base configuration file containing the most frequently used |
## | settings with reasonably defined default values for configuring and   |
## | tuning MySQL. Note that these settings can likely be further tuned in |
## | order to get optimum performance from MySQL based upon the database   |
## | configuration and hardware platform.                                  |
## |                                                                       |
## | While the settings provided are likely sufficient for most            |
## | situations, an exhaustive list of settings (with descriptions) can be |
## | found at:                                                             |
## | http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/server-system-variables.html   |
## |                                                                       |
## | Further configuration file examples (with and without comments) can   |
## | be found in /usr/share/doc.                                |
## |                                                                       |
## | Take care to only add/remove/change a setting if you are comfortable  |
## | doing so! For Rackspace customers, if you have any questions or       |
## | concerns, please contact the MySQL Database Services Team. Be aware   |
## | that some work performed by this team can involve additional billable |
## \ fees.                                                                 /
##  -----------------------------------------------------------------------
##         \   ^__^
##          \  (oo)\_______
##             (__)\       )\/\
##                 ||----w |
##                 ||     ||
[mysqld]
## General
datadir                         = /var/lib/mysql
tmpdir                          = /var/lib/mysqltmp
socket                          = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
skip-external-locking           = 1
skip-name-resolve
open-files-limit                = 20000
#sql-mode                       = TRADITIONAL
#event-scheduler                = 1
## Cache
thread-cache-size               = 16
table-open-cache                = 2048
table-definition-cache          = 512
query-cache-size                = 32M
query-cache-limit               = 1M
## Per-thread Buffers
sort-buffer-size                = 1M
read-buffer-size                = 1M
read-rnd-buffer-size            = 8M
join-buffer-size                = 1M
## Temp Tables
tmp-table-size                  = 64M
max-heap-table-size             = 64M
## Networking
back-log                        = 100
#max-connections                = 200
max-connect-errors              = 10000
max-allowed-packet              = 16M
interactive-timeout             = 600
wait-timeout                    = 600
### Storage Engines
#default-storage-engine         = InnoDB
innodb                          = FORCE
## MyISAM
key-buffer-size                 = 64M
myisam-sort-buffer-size         = 128M
## InnoDB
#innodb-log-group-home-dir      = /var/lib/mysql
#innodb-data-home-dir           = /var/lib/mysql
#innodb-data-file-path          = ibdata1:2000M;ibdata2:10M:autoextend
innodb-buffer-pool-size         = 16M
#innodb-additional-mem-pool-size= 20M
#innodb-log-file-size           = 100M
innodb_log_files_in_group       = 2
innodb-log-buffer-size          = 4M
#innodb-flush-method            = O_DIRECT
#innodb-file-per-table          = 1
#innodb-open-files              = 300
#innodb-thread-concurrency      = 16
#innodb-support-xa              = 0
## Replication
server-id                       = 1
#log-bin                        = /var/lib/mysqllogs/bin-log
#relay-log                      = /var/lib/mysqllogs/relay-log
#expire-logs-days               = 14
#read-only                      = 1
#sync-binlog                    = 1
#log-slave-updates              = 1
#binlog-format                  = STATEMENT
#auto-increment-offset          = 1
#auto-increment-increment       = 2
## Logging
#log-output                     = FILE
#slow-query-log                 = 1
#slow-query-log-file            = /var/lib/mysqllogs/slow-log
#long-query-time                = 2
#log-queries-not-using-indexes  = 1
[mysqld_safe]
log-error                       = /var/log/mysqld.log
============================
Now, I tried to start mysql server. I googled for mysqld and realized that mysqld is a server, so I started it by typing /etc/init.d/mysqld start. But, it seems not to work.
So, I tried to type restart
Here is some output
==================
root@ip-173-201-34-240 [/var/log]# /etc/init.d/mysqld restart
Stopping mysqld:                                           [  OK  ]
root@ip-173-201-34-240 [/var/log]# mysql -v
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
root@ip-173-201-34-240 [/var/log]# mysql
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
root@ip-173-201-34-240 [/var/log]#
root@ip-173-201-34-240 [/var/log]#
Based on that, I think the mysql is still not working.
Did I type another command to start Mysqld?

Thanks so much for your help in advance. : )

Best Regards,
Soonho