← Back to team overview

kernel-packages team mailing list archive

[Bug 1331513] Re: 14e4:165f tg3 eth1: transmit timed out, resetting on BCM5720



I've updated the driver to the latest version from broadcom.com, version 3.137h; and I am still experiencing a similar issue.  However, when the driver crashes, sometimes (70%) chance that the machine is useable, and another 30% the machine is totally locked up.  

The NIC i am using is new, its  product ID is 1687, and has an external
PHY Rev. of 5762C.  I am able to replicate it with the following

1.  Start the tg3 machine
2.  from another machine: start 5 sessions, repetitively copy (scp with public key authentication) a 70 meg file back and forth to the tg3 machine in each session.   (not sure if this is necessary)
3.  create a 1GB file on the tg3 machine, with something like dd if=/dev/urandom of=/my/test/file bs=1024 count=$((1024*100))
4.  from another machine:  repetitively scp copy that 1GB file from the tg3 machine.  This can be done with something like:

while [ 0 ]; do 
   scp -i /my/scp/private.key user@xxxxx.tg3:/my/test/file /

I've done it about 40 times, and the tg3 machine will crash anywhere from 5 minutes to 50 minutes into the test.
I am still scratching my head over this bug, and as a matter of fact, we are thinking about switching to an Intel or Realtek NIC, if we can not get this resolved soon.

You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel
Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu.

  14e4:165f tg3 eth1: transmit timed out, resetting on BCM5720

Status in The Dell PowerEdge project:
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:

Bug description:
  we have a problem with Dell PowerEdge machines, having the Broadcom
  5720 chip. We have this problem on generation 12 systems, across
  different models (R420, R620), with several combinations of bios
  firmwares, lifecycle firmwares, etc... We see this on several versions
  of the linux kernel, ranging from 3.2.x up tot 3.11, with several
  versions of the tg3 driver, including a manually compiled latest
  version (3.133d) loaded in a 3.11. The latest machine, where we can
  reproduce the problem has Ubuntu Precise installed, but we also see
  this behaviour on Debian machines. We run Xen on it, running HVM hosts
  on it. Storage is handled over iSCSI (and it is the iSCSI interface we
  can trigger this bug on in a reproducible way, while we have the
  impression it also happens on other interfaces, but there we don't
  have a solid case where we have e reproducible setup).

  All this info actually points into the direction of the tg3 driver
  and/or hardware below it not handling certain datastreams or data
  patterns correctly, and finally crashing the system. It seems
  unrelated to the version of kernel running, xen-version running,
  amount of VM's running, firmwares and revisions running, etc...

  We have been trying to pinpoint this for over a year now, being unable
  to actually create a scenario where we could reproduce this. As of
  this week, we finally found a specific setup where we could trigger
  the error within a reasonable time.

  The error is triggered by running a certain VM on the Xen stack, and
  inside that VM, importing a mysqldump in a running mysql on that VM.
  The VM has it's traffic on an iSCSI volume, so this effectually
  generates a datastream over the eth1 interface of the machine.  Within
  a short amount of time, the system will crash in 2 steps. We first see
  a timeout on the tg3 driver on the eth1 interface (dmesg output
  section attached). This sometimes repeats two or three times, and
  finally, step 2, the machine freezes and reboots.

  While debugging, we noticed that the bug goes away when we disable sg
  offloading with ethtool.

  If you need any additional info, feel free to ask.

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 12.04
  Package: linux-image-3.11.0-19-generic 3.11.0-19.33~precise1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.11.0-19.33~precise1-generic
  Uname: Linux 3.11.0-19-generic x86_64
   total 0
   crw-rw---T 1 root audio 116,  1 Jun 18 16:36 seq
   crw-rw---T 1 root audio 116, 33 Jun 18 16:36 timer
  AplayDevices: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu17.6
  Architecture: amd64
  ArecordDevices: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
  AudioDevicesInUse: Error: command ['fuser', '-v', '/dev/snd/seq', '/dev/snd/timer'] failed with exit code 1:
  CRDA: Error: command ['iw', 'reg', 'get'] failed with exit code 1: nl80211 not found.
  Date: Wed Jun 18 16:47:27 2014
  HibernationDevice: RESUME=UUID=f3577e02-64e3-4cab-b6e7-f30efa111565
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-Server 12.04.4 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64 (20140204)
  MachineType: Dell Inc. PowerEdge R420
  MarkForUpload: True
  ProcKernelCmdLine: placeholder root=UUID=bbc71780-90bf-4647-b579-e48d5d8c2bce ro vga=0x317
   linux-restricted-modules-3.11.0-19-generic N/A
   linux-backports-modules-3.11.0-19-generic  N/A
   linux-firmware                             1.79.12
  RfKill: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
  SourcePackage: linux-lts-saucy
  UpgradeStatus: No upgrade log present (probably fresh install)
  dmi.bios.date: 01/20/2014
  dmi.bios.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.bios.version: 2.1.2
  dmi.board.name: 0JD6X3
  dmi.board.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.board.version: A00
  dmi.chassis.type: 23
  dmi.chassis.vendor: Dell Inc.
  dmi.modalias: dmi:bvnDellInc.:bvr2.1.2:bd01/20/2014:svnDellInc.:pnPowerEdgeR420:pvr:rvnDellInc.:rn0JD6X3:rvrA00:cvnDellInc.:ct23:cvr:
  dmi.product.name: PowerEdge R420
  dmi.sys.vendor: Dell Inc.

To manage notifications about this bug go to: