kernel-packages team mailing list archive
Mailing list archive
[Bug 1572698] Missing required logs.
This bug is missing log files that will aid in diagnosing the problem.
>From a terminal window please run:
and then change the status of the bug to 'Confirmed'.
If, due to the nature of the issue you have encountered, you are unable
to run this command, please add a comment stating that fact and change
the bug status to 'Confirmed'.
This change has been made by an automated script, maintained by the
Ubuntu Kernel Team.
** Changed in: linux (Ubuntu)
Status: New => Incomplete
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel
Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu.
Slow speed and dropped connections with Realtek RTL8192CU-based wifi
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
I am using a D-Link DWA-131 USB wlan adapter to connect to my private wlan.
The adapter works fine under Windows and I have no problems connecting to my wlan with other devices (e.g. my laptop running Linux Mint).
However, the adapter, which is based on the Realtek rtl8192cu chipset, won't work correctly on any current Ubuntu machine (in my case Kubuntu 15.10 64bit):
As also showcased by a myriad of other bug reports (most of which have expired by now), wlan-adapters based on the Realtek rtl8192cu chipset exhibit very slow connection speeds and frequently dropped connections with current Linux kernels.
I have noticed this originally in Linux Mint 17 running kernel 3.19.x, in Kubuntu 15.10 up to 126.96.36.199 and can confirm that it is still present in a live session of Xenial Xerus (16.04).
I have tried commonly mentioned "fixes" such as deactivating hardware encryption without success.
The drivers available on the Realtek homepage are apparently intended
for older kernels and won't install.
There is, however, a fixed driver available via github (https://github.com/pvaret/rtl8192cu-fixes).
I have followed the instructions found there and finally my wlan-adapter is working correctly.
Apparently the issues caused by the broken driver in the linux kernels might be connected to power management.
I am posting this bug here in the hope that some developer finally
manages to incorporate the (obviously available) fixes found in the
github-drivers into the drivers already included in the kernel.
To manage notifications about this bug go to: