kernel-packages team mailing list archive
Mailing list archive
[Bug 1580482] Re: Virtualbox guest additions isn't working properly in Ubuntu 16.04
"About the virtualbox-guest-dkms package, I'm not sure it is really
needed in 16.04 as xenial kernel already packs virtualbox's guest
modules(you can lsmod it even without installing the package)"
Actually, I had the same problem. Installing this package solved it.
Error gone and pasting and screen resize is now working fine.
Thanks for the help.
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Kernel
Packages, which is subscribed to linux in Ubuntu.
Virtualbox guest additions isn't working properly in Ubuntu 16.04
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
Status in ubuntu-drivers-common package in Ubuntu:
Status in virtualbox package in Ubuntu:
## Symptoms ##
* OpenGL processing offloading is not supported(3D hardware acceleration is enabled in VM settings and is available on Intel Graphics host)
* VBoxClient warns about "Failed to connect to the ViratualBox kernel service, rc=VERR_ACCESS_DENIED"(refer attached screenshot)
You may checkout the screen record for what exactly this issue is about:
## Workarounds ##
Install VirtualBox provided guest additions iso from the menu works
## Additional Information ##
* I uses the VirtualBox from upstream on the host side, the version is 5.0.20
* Note that the Ubuntu Kernel bundled with 16.04 has integrated VirtualBox guest modules(vboxguest, vboxsf, and vboxvideo specifically) for unknown reason, this bug is reproduced *without* the virtualbox-guest-dkms package(since the Additional Drivers interface doesn't provide me the option to do so(the option is greyed-out, refer attached screenshot))
* I have another 14.04 VM and it's OpenGL offloading works, so it's not likely that the host isn't providing proper OpenGL functionallity
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 16.04
Package: virtualbox-guest-x11 5.0.18-dfsg-2build1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.4.0-22.39-generic 4.4.8
Uname: Linux 4.4.0-22-generic x86_64
Date: Wed May 11 12:08:31 2016
InstallationDate: Installed on 2016-01-07 (124 days ago)
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 15.10 "Wily Werewolf" - Release amd64 (20151021)
UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to xenial on 2016-04-07 (33 days ago)
To manage notifications about this bug go to: