Re: Re: Request to developers

Hi Karl,

Do you speak in behalf of the Kicad devellopers team?

If not, plase take your opinions and do whatever you want with them.

We are here to make group-work, what you are saying is disruptive and useless. I am sure that Dick knows all about GPL and he is just not willing to see a fork of kicad go into a company program and wee all know that GPL or not a fork is not a good thing.

Please, all, we are here to colaborate ;-)

Alain

Karl Schmidt escreveu:
Dick, enough of this whining. The article on gnu.org is more than an opinion piece - unless you really don't know what/who gnu.org is. While I and others here do appreciate contributions made by all involved, your contributions do not entitle you to the rest of the code base. The GPL license is not revocable. You can take your lines of the code (and only just what you wrote) and do what you want, but you can't take Jean Pierre's code, even if you have modified it, without violating the GPL.

I'm hereby asking Jean Pierre if he could please make it clear to this list if he has ANY intent of turning this package away from GPL for Dick or anyone else. I think all involved should know here and now if this is going to remain an open GPL project or not. I don't think anyone else here is interested in seeing kicad become a proprietary package.

If Dick thinks he can just take the entire code base as his, I'm sure that FSF would help with the legal costs of stopping him. (To donate to FSF see http://www.fsf.org/associate/support_freedom/donate )

FSF has stepped up to the plate before and stopped people from appropriating GPL software for their own ends. The cost of IP litigation is not cheap, so I would recommend Dick to talk to an IP attorney before doing something stupid.

Karl Schmidt EMail Karl@...
Transtronics, Inc. WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049 FAX (785) 841-0434

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.