Re: oval pads with offsets and freerouter

Dick Hollenbeck a écrit :

Jean-Pierre,

The attached board file is a modification of kicad's demo
"sonde-xilinx. brd", and then fed through the specctra export and then
imported back in. (So the interface is now largely done and I am mostly
going back to work on my boards.)

However, if you load this attached board and click on the ratsnest
button, you will see that freerouter is routing tracks to the center of
the "oval pads with offset", not to the through hole center. So the
ratsnest is catching this and thinking it is an unrouted pin/pad.

I am not inclined to work on this particular issue, but I wanted to
point it out in case you wanted to try and change what we consider the
"connection point" within the pad. (We have had a discussion like this
before. It is very confusing for a user to see a track go to a pad
visually and then have it not be recognized as "connected" by Kicad.
Maybe other software does this too?)

If we were to change what the "connection point" is (and still make it
be a "point on point" rather than a more tolerant overlap), we would
probably have to allow either the old connection point or the new
connection point when ratsnest testing of "oval pads with offsets".

Please give this some thought. I see 3 courses of action we could take:

1) none.

2) allow two connection points for "oval pads with offset" only.

3) become tolerant of track on pad overlaps generally according to some
more tolerant but not so execution expensive algorithm.

FYI,

Dick

Of course only option 3 is acceptable.
I'll start work on it, because i believe enhancements about copper areas will also need tolerant track connections.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS
Maître de conférences

Recherche :
Grenoble Image Parole Signal Automatique (GIPSA - INPG)
46, Avenue Félix Viallet
38031 Grenoble Cedex